Monday, July 26, 2010

A (partial) week with KDE

I've failed to keep this updated over the past week as intended because I was busy with a sprint. The short story is that I made it through about 3.5 days before finally having to give it up. The breaking point for me was when I was trying to switch back and forth between 2 different wireless access points. I found setting up a new WAP in KDE to be a bit cumbersome, but switching to a new one after already being connected to one got pretty painful. Definitely an area that could stand some improvement. Since I had a busy week ahead and this was a feature that I needed to work right and quickly, I opted to put my experiment on hold for now. The good news is that there really weren't too many things preventing me from using this as a default interface. It worked well for most things, and I appreciate the compromise that KDE makes when it comes to how the desktop should be used. Traditionally this has been a dumping ground for "Files I'm currently working on." While somewhat useful, this can quickly become a mess. Macs go to the other extreme and seem to just waste the space and keep it empty. I think that's a bit boring. Having the space available for widgets (including one that let's you see the files under ~/Desktop) seems to be a much better use.

I will be upgrading my main dogfooding machine to Maverick today, so after that I have plans to try this again with KDE, and probably Unity and Xubuntu as well. :)

No comments: